Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Segmented media...is it still relevant?

http://www.businessfacilities.com/images/bfapr07p08a.jpg
The Piedmont Triad continues to have an unusually segmented media market.

The Winston-Salem Journal will not report on anything east of the Forsyth County line, the News & Record will only use wire stories for things that happen in Winston-Salem, CBS-2 WFMY continues to have a Greensboro focus while NBC-12 WXII continues to have a Winston-Salem/Forsyth County slant, 600/1200 WSJS radio has a Western Piedmont focus...you get the idea.

Does segmented media still have relevance?

In my opinion, I would say no...for you have some that want a much larger picture of what's going on in the greater Triad market (for this niche, outlets such as News 14 Carolina, FOX-8, and FM Talk 101.1 WZTK have been instrumental in covering the entire area).

Thoughts?

E.C. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it still has relevance assuming they do their job well. We have so many sizeable cities with very culturally different populations that there should be a dedicated focus to each. I know that when I watch the news I use 12 for my county, 2 when I want the latest news on racial items, and 8 gives me a pretty good overall picture of the region.

Anonymous said...

What about WFDD? It seems to cover the entire Triad with offices in Greensboro and in Winston Salem.

Sorensen 2009 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I agree with Anonymous. WFDD has reporters that cover the entire 35 counties it serves. The 100,000 listeners are lucky to have such a source today considering the 'cookie cutter' approach most radio operators are using.