Friday, January 23, 2009

Journalism died in 2008-nationally and locally

http://www.danzfamily.com/archives/blogphotos/08/047-journalism-rip.jpg

From this week's White Noise column over at YES! Weekly:

Our industry in crisis

Sorry for the delay, but I only just recently remembered to check the annual tally on the Papercuts blog, which keeps a running total of all journalism jobs lost in the US. It seems 2008 was a banner year for the site: At least 15,554 journalism jobs were lost last year. The 2007 total was 2,185 . Final numbers for North Carolina are not in just yet — we’re still waiting for totals of layoffs announced last year from the Winston-Salem Journal and the News & Record, for example. But the two biggest fish in the pond, the Charlotte Observer and the Raleigh News & Observer, accounted for most of them: almost 450 job cuts between them. The 2009 ticker at Papercuts is well underway, with 327 journalism jobs lost this year as of press time.
*************************
E.C. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is understandable since I am not aware of one newspaper on or off the internet that has anything but commentaries. I remember when the five rules for the first paragraph of any news story was Who, what, where, when, How. Of course I only had one journalism class in my freshman year in college and being me decided I could not be so restrained. So I chose education instead where I had a captive audience!! BB

Inspector Clouseau said...

It is indeed interesting that the particular post on which I decided to stop and leave this comment, also contains a comment from Brenda Bowers. I told Brenda Bowers (And So I Go, Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow), who is a regular reader of my blog, that I wanted to locate other local bloggers who generated articles which stimulated thought, and she suggested that I visit your blog. She also described you as "passionately concerned" about our region. I have to say, after reviewing your articles, that she was correct. I enjoyed the visit and plan to return with some degree of regularity.

Erik "E.C." Huey said...

Many many thanks for the kind words, Mr. Logistician. I'm impressed with your site as well. I'll be e-mailing you.