Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Remembering Nick Maheras

The image “http://profile.ak.facebook.com/v226/1061/58/s1162217785_9076.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors. I was terribly shocked and saddened to learn of the recent and rather untimely passing of Nick Maheras. A long-time lifestyles and religion reporter for the High Point Enterprise, Maheras was a friend and former colleague of mine at the Enterprise when I was a young cub reporter there from late 2000-2001. Maheras was often soft-spoken, but a hard-nosed reporter. He loved news and loved the people he not only worked with but those he interviewed. He was someone I was proud to know, and I will miss him.

Take care of yourself, Nick; we'll see you soon.

E.C. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My name is Ed Fadden. I'm from the DC area. I went school at Wingate College in 1970. My first day there I met Nick. Both of us were still 17. He was my best friend my first two years in school. I think he would return the compliment. We kept up with each other, but not as much in the last 3 years. I'm VERY saddened, too much, to have read this. There are alot of people out there who will be almost as sad as I am. I knew his Mom and childhood friends well. Nick used to take me home to his house on some weekends, because he knew DC was more than a hitchhiker should do in one weekend. He met my family as well.

How did this happen?

His belief in Jesus was truly strong, and in at least my presence, unabashed. But Nick was unabashed.

If someone out there could have Lisa contact me I would appreciate it.

Nick, you know I love you, man.

Ed

Crystal Victoria said...

Replying to Ed Faddens comment above:

Hi Ed this is Crystal, Nick's neice,(his sister - Linda's, daughter) It is neat to hear the things that people recall about him. I have such great memories of him as an Uncle and the visits we use to make to NC every summer. So it is nice to hear that people outside our family were just as blessed by him as we were. Please feel free to email me. I will try and help the best I can. Blessings!

crystaltori@gmail.com

pay per head said...

hey guys that,s really amazing posts...

Anonymous said...

Nick Maheras was a genuine, caring, very intelligent,well-read,interesting human being. I met him at a Bible study in High Point. His devotion to His Lord and to His girls and his vocation were undescribeable. He sacrificed quite a lot to see that his girls were taken care of.He taught me much about life and was the best friend I ever had.He always asked questions that would make one think about WHY I was doing or thinking what I was thinking.I know He is happily with Jesus and I look forward to having many more discussion through eternity.His life was not easy. He came through much tribulation-but he has seen the Hope of Glory.God-speed, Nick. Just know that you are loved and appreciated and always have been.Nick was a true southern gentleman with a Greek heritage.