Thursday, April 2, 2009

FOX-8 censors The Osbournes

The image “http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2682/159/67/49901709895/n49901709895_2267083_1633936.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

Since FOX-8 (WGHP) is no longer a network O&O (owned and operated) station, they are no longer bound by the network to air the network slate on time. Which is apparently what FOX-8 officials decided to do with the airing of the new Osbournes show this past Tuesday.

The News & Record reports the show didn't air locally until after midnight Tuesday, a decision made by station manager Karen Adams after viewing a preview of the show late last week. Adams reportedly objected to some of the content in the show.

According to a Washington Post report, several other FOX affiliates around the county either chose not to air it or to delay broadcasting of the episode.

N&R:

WGHP station manager Karen Adams said she opted to delay the show after seeing the preview video Friday night. The hugely popular "American Idol" is a family-friendly show, Adams said. This debut episode of "Osbournes Reloaded," she added, was not.

When "American Idol" ended at 9:25 p.m. Tuesday, WGHP ran a special episode of "Deal or Dud," a news segment that evaluates popular consumer products.

"I like Ozzy," Adams said. "I just didn't like him at 9:25 coming off of 'American Idol.'"

Adams said the station got about 60 e-mails from viewers. About 40 percent praised the decision to not air it in prime time. The remaining 60 percent were critical. Adams said many of them had missed the station's announcement that "Osbournes Reloaded" would be delayed and did not see the show.

****************************
I can see why Adams may have made this decision, but I'm not the biggest fan of censorship in this matter. I'm not defending the show, but let families and households make the decision to turn the channel or turn the TV off, as is done in our home.

And believe me, the stuff young people watch today, either on cable or online, or on their portable video players/i-Pods illegally brought to school, is a lot more haunting compared to what's on the Osbournes show.

E.C. :)

2 comments:

Roch101 said...

""I like Ozzy," Adams said. "I just didn't like him at 9:25 coming off of 'American Idol.'"

Would you like him at nine AM?

When station manager condemns?

Would you like him when you want to view?

Why not watch him on Hulu?

-------

(But yeah, the show is crass and five minutes was enough for me.)

Eric said...

Well personally I don't have to have good taste in my comedy, but I absolutely demand comedy in my comedy. In that respect, the new Osbournes show let me down.

By pushing the Osbournes Reloaded out of prime time, WGHP did right by families and my group, the morbidly curious who wanted to see the car wreck firsthand. The only place I can really fault Adams is that we could've used a few more warnings of the show's delay. I watched Fox 8 prime time all week, missed all the warnings, and found the midnight showing on a hunch.