Friday, March 20, 2009

No prize...

The image “http://tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:PdpFJNGeMb6Z3M:http://api.ning.com/files/MCeciAWPudYj5b0dVAq0c7CauP8KO4OXXssI4-psSY9vI8mpsKqRIjE82AfAWva*BYFDV2G-TcD5K4Zz5Wq63GWToQMveBIZ/1pieface2.png” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors. Every once in a while, one has to take a step back...and take it on the face. The last hour was one of those occasions.

A while ago, I wrote a post on how I thought the N&R reposted a wire story regarding a proposed tourist attraction in Martinsville to commemorate the 100th anniversary of Bassett Furniture.

To the first-time discerning reader (who, like me, knows nothing about furniture/never covered the local furniture beat--and probably never will after this), it appears as though the article could mean the anniversary is upcoming (as in 2012). Looking at the article a couple of times, I thought there was a mistake.

The paragraph I had a difficult time with was this:
That's what the Martinsville-Henry County Economic Development Corp. plans to do with a giant chair made by Bassett Furniture Industries for its 100th anniversary in 2002.

I don't know, but if I was the article writer, I would have written:
That's what the Martinsville-Henry County Economic Development Corp. plans to do with a giant chair made by Bassett Furniture Industries for its 100th anniversary, celebrated back in 2002.
Further investigation revealed that in fact, the article was correct, there was no mistake. I have pulled the post and I'm man enough to take it on the chin every once in a while. And it's probably why I'm no longer employed as a working journalist and selling airplane tickets at night.

So kudos to the N&R for getting it right and shame on me for falsely accusing them of getting it wrong.

Moving on...

E.C. :)

No comments: