Thursday, February 26, 2009

New blog discusses marketing, public relations & crisis management

The image “http://ryanshell.com/wp-content/themes/revolution_business-10/images/home.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

Greensboro local Ryan Shell, author of the blogsite Greensboro Politics, has retooled his personal website to include a regular discussion of public relations and marketing. A media relations manager for Truliant Credit Union, Shell is already discussing media campaigns and crisis management, among other items.

Want to know something about crisis communication?

Many of you may know I work for US Airways; I work nights in the reservations center in Winston-Salem. I was on my way to work the afternoon Flt. 1549 went down in the Hudson River. Our Winston-Salem center handled the family assistance calls that came in right after the incident occurred. And while I haven't publicly discussed the events of that day, and my small role in it, watching our media relations team in action was nothing short of stunning.

That's crisis communication.

Last night, I had a unique opportunity to attend a recognition ceremony in Charlotte for those involved, including the crew of 1549. It was incredible to be in that room.

I'm just a front-line employee making $9 and change, but to be in that room for those few hours was an experience I will never forget. I've always been around things that fly, and even when I covered the industry in Washington, last night's event ranked right up there with the many unique aviation-related experiences I've had.

I'll have more info on this in the days to come. I'm also trying to secure an interview with local flight attendant Donna Dent, one of the crew members on board 1549.

E.C. :)

No comments: